In addition to the electronic resources normally offered by the NTL on this page, we are able to provide some additional limited-time offerings thanks to the generosity of EBSCO Publishing, TumbleBooks, and Massachusetts Libraries during the COVID-19 shut down. They are as follows:
CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19) & MASSACHUSETTS LIBRARIES:
INFORMATION FOR PATRONS
The Massachusetts Library System in collaboration with the Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners has published a guide with information about COVID-19, as well as resources for parents, children, and older adults. Please check out this comprehensive collection of information and resources.
Free Lynda.com Courses on Remote Work, Job Searching and More
COVID-19 has wreaked havoc on the global economy, as many people are now either working remotely or, unfortunately, not working at all. To help in this time, Lynda.com has unlocked courses to help your patrons stay productive while working from home or, for those who lost their jobs, build out their job search strategy to find a new one. Visit the LinkedIn Learning Blog to find links and more information on following free “learning paths” to help job seekers, educators, remote workers and more. The free courses in these learning paths will help:
- Job seekers navigate career strategies in today’s job market
- Professionals remain productive and efficient while working remotely
- Professionals manage stress and build mindfulness practices into their work day
- Professionals build resilience during this challenging time
- Educators transition to teaching online
- Talent acquisition professionals adapt to the changing business landscape
- Sales professionals learn the skills to sell during these unusual times
- Small businesses navigate the challenges of today’s economy
- Leaders Clearly Communicate and Influence Positive Change in Times of Crisis
Seven EBSCO eBook collections are now available through June 30.
- Business Subscription Collection
- Cricket Media Subscription Collection
- Education Subscription Collection
- History Subscription Collection
- High School Subscription Collection
- K-8 Subscription Collection
TumbleBooks has granted free temporary statewide access to their eBook and audiobook collections. Access will be available until August 31, 2020. The login credentials for all of the collections are:
- TumbleBookLibrary – K-6 children’s eBook database
- TumbleMath – K-6 math eBook database
- TeenBookCloud – gr 7-12 ebook database
- AudioBookCloud – all ages audiobook database
- RomanceBookCloud – a huge collection of steamy Romance novels for the older crowd!
Other Free Resources:
Here at the Newbury Town Library, we have multiple sources to learn about and utilize online reading materials, from fictional stories to newspaper articles to scholarly research, all by using your library card. Check out the listings below and dig in!
Did you know the NTL has thousands of ebooks and e-audiobooks? You can borrow them instantly and for free, using just the device in your hand. Get the app for your phone or tablet!
eBooks from OVERDRIVE! Explore titles available to read on your Kindle, computer, iPad, iPhone, Android or compatible eBook reader through Overdrive.
eAudiobooks from OVERDRIVE! Explore titles available to read on your Kindle, computer, iPad, iPhone, Android or compatible eBook reader through Overdrive. Need help getting started?
Browse – Checkout – and Read magazines in your browser – and download to mobile apps with eMagazines from OVERDRIVE! Get started by creating a new account in the online browser site. Checkout a magazine or download mobile apps and log in with your same credentials. (Create your account online before downloading the mobile apps.) Once you checkout a magazine you may keep it as long as you wish.
The popular, on-demand film streaming service, Kanopy, is available for free to NTL patrons. Library card holders can access Kanopy and sign up to start streaming films instantly by visiting newburylibrary.kanopy.com. Films can be streamed from any computer, television, mobile device or platform by downloading the Kanopy app for iOS, Android, AppleTV, Chromecast or Roku.
Offering what the New York Times calls ͞a garden of cinematic delights, Kanopy showcases more than 30,000 of the world’s best films, including award-winning documentaries, rare and hard-to-find titles, film festival favorites, indie and classic films, and world cinema with collections from Kino Lorber, Music Box Films, Samuel Goldwyn, The Orchard, The Great Courses, PBS and thousands of independent filmmakers. Try it out today!
For Kanopy Kids, visit: https://newburylibrary.kanopy.com/kids
Use your library card to access over 500 free online courses through Universal Class. Universal Class offers the highest quality online courses for patrons interested in the lifelong pursuit of knowledge for either personal or professional reasons.
- Over 500 courses, both self-paced and instructor-led
- Enroll in up to 5 classes at a time
- 24/7 access to courses through the library’s website
- Certified instructors available to answer your questions and assess your performance
- Connect with other students for an authentic classroom experience
- Accredited as an authorized provider by the International Association for Continuing Education Training (IACET), offering continuing education units on all qualifying courses
As a Newbury Town Library and MVLC member library card holder, you have access to high-quality local, state, and regionally funded online resources of full-text periodicals, health and business resources, biographical and literary databases, as well as general research resources available online in the library or from home. Home access to online resources is possible by inputting your 14-digit public library barcode number.
Now you can access AncestryLibrary FROM HOME with your NTL library card! AncestryLibrary has temporarily expanded their offerings in light of the pandemic and closures of libraries so that patrons may access the database from home. Unless you have changed it, your password should be the last 4 digits of your phone number.
Use your library card to access the Boston Globe and the New York Times.
The Newbury Town Library has partnered with driving-tests.org to provide patrons with free, ad-free, and registration-free Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV) practice tests for car, motorcycle, and commercial vehicle licenses. Perfect for the learner’s permit test, driver’s license test, and refresher test for seniors.
Access more eResources through the Boston Public Library with a BPL eCard – available to all Massachusetts residents online!