2018 Summer Reading for Kids and Teens: Libraries Rock!
NTL Summer Reading Program (June 28, 2018 – August 25, 2018)
This Summer, the NTL is promoting the national theme of “Libraries Rock” and offering great music themed programs to inspire musical creativity in every child.
NTL is offering the Read & Bead Incentive Program. Here’s how it works: Read and log to be eligible to receive awesome beads to add to your Summer Reading Necklace. Every book read (Max 10 per week) and receive 1 bead per book. Complete the week’s challenge of reading and logging 20 minutes a day or 2 hours 20 minutes a week and redeem for your read and bead token! Teens will partake in a similar Read and Bead Program and making bracelets and key chains.
2018 Summer Programming Line Up: Click to register for each event
SUMMER READING KICK OFF!!! SAVE THE DATE: JUNE 28th @ 1PM
NTL Summer Reading Kick Off Party!!!
Thursday, June 28th @ 1pm
1-2pm: Concert with GRAMMY nominated family music performer, Alastair Moock (Ages 6 and Up).
Alastair performs shows for kids and families all over the country, full of rootsy, laughin’, signin’ and dancin’ fun. Performances combine Alastair’s own award-winning songs and folk songs from our nation’s past, with a sprinkle of history and dash of social justice thrown in for good measure.
2-3pm: Kona Shaved Ice Truck, Kid Friendly Tattoos & More
Children’s Concert with David Polansky (All Ages)
Friday, July 13 from 10:30-11:30
Returning by popular demand, David Polansky continues our summer reading program with a family fun musical event. Get ready to sing and put on your dancing shoes because his shows involve the audience in many different ways including singing, dance and other movement,
questions and answers, or on the spot lyric writing.
Let’s Gogh Art (Ages 7-10)
Thursday, July 26 from 3-4pm
Magical and Mysterious Art-Venture inspired by Roald Dahl. Enter a magical world where fantasy and science meets art, and your imagination runs free. In this class each participant will make their very own goofy science goggles and then creating their very own 3D paintings! Space is limited so please register HERE to secure your spot.
Irish Step Dancing Workshop (Ages 7-12)
Tuesday, August 7th from 5-6pm
Come enjoy a special demonstration and join in a workshop presented by Bracken School of Irish Dance in Salisbury.
The Bracken School of Irish Dance-Boston provides dance instruction to girls and boys aged 5 and older. Irish dance is an excellent way for children to exercise and keep fit as well as pursuing an art form that is steeped in tradition.
Drumming Class with Zack Field Drum Studios (Ages 7-12)
Wednesday, August 15 in 2 groups
Join Zack Field Drum Studios at the Newbury Town Library this summer for a hands on drumming class. In this workshop, kids will learn traditional African Rhythms.
- Group 1: Upper Elementary (Ages 7-9) @ 1-1:45pm
- Group 2: Middle School (Ages 10 and Up) @ 2-2:45
2018 Summer Reading Lists from Schools:
- Newbury Elementary School Reading List
- Triton Middle School (7th and 8th Grade)
- Triton High School Reading List
Why Summer Reading?
There are so many benefits. Check out the following information from the Collaborative Summer Library Program:
- Prevent the Summer Slide! Summer slide affects millions of children each year in this country—but it doesn’t have to. Read about tips for parents, caregivers, and members of community organizations to help keep learning fun throughout the summer break and the rest of the year.
- The Importance of Summer Read: New York State Library, The Importance of Summer Reading: Public Library Summer Reading Programs and Learning
- Summer Reading Research: Information compiled by Colorado’s Library Research Service which includes valuable data on summer library use by children from varying economic backgrounds.