Appeal for new Friends board members 🙂
Looking to get more involved in our community? Interested in meeting new friends? The Friends of the Newbury Town Library are a fun group of volunteers who love books, our library, and our community. We are looking to expand our board and would welcome your participation. We meet on the first Wednesday of each month at 3:00 pm at the library, except for July and August. We work closely with the library staff and raise funds to support the library’s programs and resources. Meetings are open to everyone. Please join us at our next meeting. Come and see what we are all about! Our email is email@example.com. We are also on Facebook and Twitter.
Join us for our FRIENDS Annual Plant Sale
CALLING ALL GARDENERS AND PLANT LOVERS!
Plant Donations needed: perennials, annuals, vegetables, herbs, fruit plants and small shrubs
As you eye your gardens, The Friends of the Newbury Town Library warmly invite you to participate in our upcoming plant sale by donating plants. Your plant contributions not only help raise funds for NTL’s adult and children’s programming, but they also provide our community with a favorite event and beautify our homes and neighborhoods.
Donation days: During library hours May 17th-19th and on Saturday prior to the sale at 8 am. You can leave your plant donations inside the first set of doors during library hours or outside the main doors after hours. If possible, provide a label indicating the plant name, color, and type of sun required.
In any event, please save the date and come to the sale! Your support is greatly appreciated!
If you have any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Who We Are
The Friends of the Newbury Town Library is a volunteer organization primarily focused on raising funds to support the Library and staff, enhance the resources and services of the Library, and enrich the community. As a non-profit 501(c)3 organization, it is a legally distinct organization and all donations are fully tax deductible to the fullest extent as allowed by law.
The Friends are governed by a Board of Directors which meets on the first Wednesday of each month, except July and August, and has one annual fiscal budget meeting in June. All meetings are open to everyone. The fiscal budget meeting is open to members only. We welcome and value your input and suggestions. Meeting minutes are available upon request. Email us at email@example.com for a copy.
The 2021 Board Members are:
- Tammy Cotter, President
- Patty Olson, Vice President
- Linda Rivera, Recording Secretary
- Pam Myers-Kinney, Treasurer
- Maureen Haley, Director-At-Large
- Joan Friedman, Director-At-Large
If you have any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
What We Do
Did you know that the Library has no line item in its municipal budget for programs? The Friends help the Library maintain its important and critical role in the community by allocating funding and support for:
- Programs, seminars and workshops for children and adults, such as Writers Workshop and Yoga for adults, as well as Dads & Donuts and Take & Make Together programs for kids
- Discount museum passes and state park passes
- Summer reading programs for children and adults
- Supplies for story time craft projects
- Desired extras that fall outside the regular budget of the library
MEMBERSHIP AND SUPPORT
Join the Friends or renew your membership in one of the following two ways:
- Online: Follow the two-step process to join or renew online. First, fill out our online membership form and click “Submit.” After completing this form, make your donation online through Friends of the Newbury Town Library Paypal account (click here).
- Regular Mail: Print and fill out the Friends Membership Form, and mail it along with your check, to Friends of the NTL (FONTL), Newbury Town Library, 0 Lunt Street, Byfield, MA 01922.
Annual Categories of Friendship:
Senior (65+) $10.00
Other Ways to Contribute to the Friends:
- Donate books to our Book Sale Room
- Give a gift membership. Need a gift for a birthday or holiday? Memberships make great gifts for book-loving friends and a great way to include others in the meaningful work our library does in our community.
- Shop on AmazonSmile. Go to AmazonSmile and select Friends of Newbury Town Library as your preferred charity. It has all the same products, prices and features as the Amazon we all know and love. When you shop, AmazonSmile will donate 0.5% of the purchase price of eligible products to the Friends of the Newbury Town Library.
- Volunteer. By volunteering as little as one or two hours a year, you can play an important role in helping to support the library and its programs. If you are interested in volunteering at one of our fundraisers, grant writing, becoming a Board member (monthly meetings and an opportunity to work on various projects), or have new ideas or suggestions for fundraising that you can help bring to fruition, please email the friends at email@example.com
- Make a 100% tax deductible donation. You can donate online through the Friends of the Newbury Town Library Paypal account, or mail a check to: Friends of the NTL (FONTL), Newbury Town Library (FONTL), 0 Lunt Street, Byfield, MA 01922
- Shop in our Book Sale Room for discounted books, Newbury hats and flags and other merchandise.
- Planned Giving. Include NTL in your estate or create a Charitable Gift Annuity or Trust.
THANK YOU, AS ALWAYS, FOR YOUR GENEROSITY AND FRIENDSHIP.
All proceeds raised at our fundraisers help fund NTL programs and events.
Annual Harvest Fest
Our Annual Harvest Fest, which takes place in mid-October, includes a soup tasting competition (in which patrons cast their votes for their favorite soup) and a literary pumpkin contest with prizes for each. We also have children’s craft activities, baked goods and Newbury merchandise for sale, and a chance to win amazing raffle prizes. It’s a fun day for the whole family and a great way to meet and mingle with neighbors and friends in our community.
Festival of Trees Fundraiser
Our Festival of Trees Fundraiser was introduced in December 2020 and was a huge success! During this event, we “grow” a forest of paper trees that we display in the library’s windows. We ask for a donation of $25.00 per tree and add a tree to our display with your name on it. We also offer a one-year free membership or renewal of membership to the Friends with each donation.
Annual Plant Sale
Spring ushers in our Annual Plant Sale in May. We have a variety of quality plants from which to choose, including annuals, perennials, berries, herbs, and hanging baskets, that have been donated from local gardens and backyards. The plants are potted and grouped according to type. We also sell Newbury hats and flags, as well as raffle off fabulous prizes. This event is always well attended, with many patrons returning year after year!
BOOK SALE ROOM AND MERCHANDISE
Stop by our Book Sale Room near the circulation desk whenever the library is open and come by often! We have something for everyone of all ages at bargain prices. You will find fiction, non-fiction, biography, mysteries, cookbooks, gardening books, youth and children’s books, DVDs, and audio books. Our stock is in very gently used condition and rotated frequently. Please use the small plastic bags provided for your purchases of books, DVDs and audio books. Prices are posted.
Book Sale Room Donation Guidelines
All the books we sell in our Book Sale Room are donated to us. Please bring your donations into the library and do not place them in the drop box. We happily accept books in like-new condition. Please do not donate books with broken spines, missing or torn pages and/or covers, visible mold, mildew smell or water damage. We also accept DVDs and audio books.
We cannot accept magazines, VHS tapes, and CDs.
*Books that we cannot use are donated to More Than Words, a job training and youth development program in Boston that empowers nearly 350 vulnerable youth each year in the foster care system, court involved, homeless, or out of school to take charge of their lives by taking charge of their $4M bookselling business.
We also stock and sell Newbury hats and flags in our Book Sale Room, as well as unmatted prints of “Yellow School” by Jean Pearson. See below for pricing:
- Newbury hats (come in four colors)
- Newbury flags:
Small flags (12” X 18”) are $35.00
Medium flags (2’ X 3’) are $50.00
Large flags (3’ X 5’) are $65.00.
- “Yellow School” prints by Jean Pearson
*All purchases of books and/or merchandise are to be made at the circulation desk with either cash or check. Thank you.